So if you’re gonna snack, you need to be smart. A bag of Cheetos is not a good option! Make good choices and try and stay balanced…a little carb, some protein and even some fat at every meal will help you stay fuller, longer.
The other key to snacking smart? Plan ahead. Don’t head out the door and hope that you’ll be set for the afternoon snack session and that you’ll make the right choice at Starbucks! Pack some snacks for the day and don’t put yourself in that position to make a bad choice!
Here are my top 5 favorite snacks…
- Clean Egg Muffins – Best morning snack around! So easy to eat on the go or in the car too. I rarely warm them up and I’m so happy to snack on these. Make a batch on Sunday and you’re set for the week!
- Banana and a 1/2 scoop of whey protein in milk or water – Eat the banana whole or blend it all together. This is an ideal post workout snack that will replenish you after an intense cardio and strength training workout. The whey will help you realize your muscles quickly. When I am traveling or on the go, I always pack my Blender Bottle; it’s a lifesaver when I am away from home and I know I will be hunting to get my protein in the for the day. I love the Syntha-6 Peanut Butter Cookie protein powder in water. Simply sinful!
- Raw almonds and an apple – An apple is about 75 calories and full of fiber, plus it has good carbs. Add 1/8-1/4 cup of almonds and you are set. Make sure to count the nuts though, it’s easy to overdo it with nuts. 1/4 cup of almonds is only 25-28 almonds. This is my go-to 3pm snack!
- Carrot sticks and 2 tbsp hummus – Veggies are low calorie but make sure you count what you’re taking in. Carrots are full of sugar so it’s easy to munch on too many. Hummus is a great dip for veggies, but stick to 2 tbsp so you stay within your goals!
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese and berries (I prefer blueberries or blackberries) – This is my go-to late night snack! Cottage cheese is perfect before bedtime because it’s loaded with casein, a slow metabolizing protein that will keep you full all night. And if you think you hate cottage cheese, give it a try as an adult. I was surprised how much I love it now!
So with that said, I better go pack my bag for work tomorrow – an apple, some almonds, and some Clean Egg Muffins. Now I can avoid those cravings for the drive-thru!