Ahhh. Vacation. My favorite time of the year. How many of you are gearing up for a big summer vacation soon? Our family just returned from the Outer Banks of North Carolina this past Saturday, and the week was spectacular. Only one half day of rain and temperatures in the upper 70s to lower 80s. Just outstanding. Most of all, it was a tremendous break from the grind for all of us. And like most of you, we did our fair share of indulging – Lighthouse Bagels in Corolla, Duck Donuts (perhaps the most perfect donut of all time), homemade Lemon Bliss Cake and Chocolate Chip Cookies, margaritas on the beach, chips and homemade Tomatillo Salsa Verde, the most perfect coffee drinks from Duck’s Cottage, lunch at Cafe Lachine in Nags Head, dinner and drinks at Metropolis in Corolla. – we enjoyed it all. But while I indulged, I did every attempt to keep up my healthy habits. It is truly very simple – our top tips on how to stay fit and healthy on vacation.
How to Stay Fit and Healthy on Vacation
- Pack your Athleisure and Sneakers. If you aren’t prepared, it won’t happen. And if you’re like me, if you don’t look cute, it won’t happen. I know. I know. Those workout clothes and sneakers take up a lot of space in your suitcase. Excuses, excuses. Pack a couple of cute outfits that will work during a run/walk/workout, but also double as a daytime outfit. And don’t be afraid to run a load of laundry while on vacation – no need to pack 7 outfits just for a workout!
- Rise and Shine. The early bird catches the worm. Stick with your normal wakeup time, even when on vacation. This will keep your normal sleep cycle working, so that transition back to work will be easier. And if you’re like me, this time can be your sanctuary. Your me time. Go for a morning walk/run before everyone else rises – maybe even at sunrise on the beach. How motivational!
- Drink Water. Even if you aren’t headed to warmer climates, you will most likely be much more active on vacation than during normal working days. And you will definitely be indulging more, especially when it comes to alcohol. Water is the single most important thing you can do for your body everyday. Stay hydrated. Your body and skin will thank you! And if you haven’t picked one up yet, we highly recommend Hydroflask Water Bottles. They keep cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot for an entire day. Essential for a day at the beach or on a hike!
- Eat Fresh Fruits and Veggies. Snack all day long, but snack on fresh fruits and veggies. Keep you body full with the good stuff during the day, so that you won’t completely derail your routing when you go out to each for an amazing brunch or dinner and cocktails. We stocked the kitchen with apples, bananas, lots of farm fresh berries, peaches, watermelon and mango. And when the week was closing up and we hadn’t eaten all that fruit, we made homemade popsicles for the kids from our smoothie concoctions.
- Unplug Mentally. Vacation is for your body, mind and soul. Make sure that you nurture all of it. Read that book that has been sitting on your nightstand. Listen to an inspiring podcast. Play board games with the family – a mean game of Scrabble can do wonders for sharpening in your mind. Every morning during my morning walk, I listened to inspiring podcasts that would be a great start to my day.
- Play. Do things on vacation that you wouldn’t have the time to do otherwise. Play tennis or basketball with your kids. Book a tee time at the ridiculously expensive (but gorgeous) golf course. Throw a football on the beach. Ride the boogie board on the waves. Not only will you make amazing memories with your family, but you will burn some calories at the same time!
So, let me throw it out to the Focused on Fit community. I would love to get your insight on this topic. What are your tricks on how to stay fit and healthy on vacation? Please comment below!
***this post contains affiliate links to products – any revenue earned off of sales of these products will help us fund this site and future projects***