You know that weird looking pile next to the wasabi on your plate of sushi – do you ever eat it? Well the Japanese culture is onto something. That is a pile of luscious pickled ginger. And this root is pretty amazing. Usually when we are out for sushi, I give that ginger to my husband – far too strong for me in that form. But I do love ginger, and here are a few more reasons why we all need to eat more ginger!
Eat more ginger – the health benefits
- At the root of it all (haha), we all know that ginger is a major digestive aid. Whether it’s in the form of ginger ale or ginger tea, if you have an upset stomach, ginger will soothe your tummy. Research has confirmed that ginger helps relieve nausea and vomiting from a variety of causes including morning sickness, motion sickness, postoperative upset and even chemotherapy treatments.
- Ginger also helps in reducing inflammation and pain, which means it is a fabulous supplement for those with arthritis, headaches or even menstrual cramps. How? Ginger reduces the synthesis of cytokines that cause inflammation.
- It helps control erratic blood sugars. “In a study published the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition, people with type 2 diabetes who consumed ginger daily for 12 weeks reduced their blood sugar, insulin, and cholesterol levels, while those on a placebo did not.”
- Ginger has a warming effect, improves circulation and may lower cholesterol. “Studies have shown that ginger can reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood by activating an enzyme by increasing your body’s use of cholesterol and therefore lowering it. It may also help blood from clotting and prevent heart attacks or strokes.”
- Ginger can help in fighting infections. Ultimately, ginger has anti-viral properties, which can help in staving off infections, like RSV, yeast infections, and even gum infections, like gingivitis.
How to eat more ginger everyday?
Well, clearly, here at Focused on Fit, we enjoy the flavor of ginger! When I was searching our database of recipes, we have countless options of items that offer ginger as one of the shining ingredients. Take a look at some of our favorite ways to eat more ginger everyday:
Isn’t this salad just gorgeous?! Our Tofu Thai Chopped Salad is the perfect healthy option when you are craving Thai food takeout, especially in the summer. It is spicy, sweet and so refreshing on a hot day. One serving is only 167 calories, but packs 12g of protein and only 10g of carbs! The ginger makes the dish and plays a key role in the marinade on the tofu. Substitute the tofu with chicken or salmon, if you prefer – the marinade would work great with any meat.
This smoothie may be the simplest smoothie we have made, but the most delicious. Bananas, almond milk, ginger and ice – it honestly tastes like a banana milkshake – without the calories. Our Banana Ginger Smoothie would be a great way to remedy any indigestion at the end of your day!
Oh my! We made these 2 summers ago, and they are a huge hit in our house, even with a toddler. Sweet and spicy, the Pineapple Orange Ginger Pop, will be super refreshing as an afternoon treat this summer! We used the Zoku Quick Pop Maker to make these tasty treats – so easy!
**This blog includes affiliate links for products that we recommend on Amazon.com. Any purchases made through these links will help us fund our website and future apps. Thank you!**