This dish looks like summer in a pan. Fresh summer zucchini is on full display and you will not be sorry when you serve up this dish.
1. In a large heavy bottomed, oven proof skillet (cast iron works great), heat olive oil until hot on medium heat.
2. Add onions, sliced, and saute for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until golden brown.
3. Add garlic, minced, stirring more frequently, until garlic is lightly browned.
4. Turn heat to med- low and add diced tomatoes, lemon zest and lemon juice, salt, pepper and spices.
5. Simmer on low until tomatoes cook down a little, about 5 minutes. This will seem like a fairly “dry” tomato sauce, but remember, zucchini
will release their liquids in while baking.
6. Remove all but 1/3 of the rustic tomato sauce, placing 2/3 in a separate bowl.
7. Spread the remaining tomato sauce (about 1/2 C) evenly on the bottom of the pan.
8. Place one single layer of zucchini in slighty overlapping concentric circles. Sprinkle with a pinch of kosher salt and pepper.
9. Spread another third of the rustic tomato sauce over the zucchini, as evenly as possible. It won't seem like a lot, but don’t worry.
10. Add the second final layer of slightly overlapping zucchini.
11. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and the rest of the tomato sauce.
12. Cover with foil. Place in 350 F oven for 45 minutes.
13. Uncover and give a good shake, and bake uncovered for additional 20 minutes.
14. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
15. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and a give a drizzle of olive oil.
Calorie Burn TimeLog In to estimate
|? min||? min||? min||? min|