If you are looking for a delicious way to sneak veggies into your (or your kids) diet, our Carrot Bran Muffins are the ticket! Loaded with bran and carrots, this muffin will help you stay regular, with 5g of fiber in each serving! Made with unsweetened applesauce rather than vegetable oil, the fat content stays super low, allowing you to enjoy every bite!
1. In a small mixing bowl, pour the boiling water over the half cup of the All-Bran cereal. When cooled, mix in the applesauce and egg. If you add the egg too early, it will begin to cook over the hot cereal mixture. Shred 2 medium carrots using a box grater. Set aside.
2. While the water/bran mixture cools, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the raisins. Ensure that the raisins aren't clumped together; in fact the flour mixture should coat the raisins so that they are separate in the batter and don't sink to the bottom of the muffin when baking.
3. In a large measuring cup, combine the buttermilk and brown sugar, and stir into the dry ingredients.
4. Stir in remaining 1 1/2 cups cereal, the softened bran mixture and the shredded carrots. Cover the batter and refrigerate it overnight.
5. When you're ready to bake, preheat the oven to 375°F for 15 minutes. Grease the muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
6. Stir the batter once or twice, then scoop a heaping 1/4-cup of batter into each prepared muffin cup. If you prefer a less crispy exterior of the muffin, use muffin liners in your baking sheet.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven, cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes before removing the muffins from the pan.
9. These muffins last up to a week, refrigerated in a Ziplock bag; I usually pop them in the microwave before eating them.
Calorie Burn TimeLog In to estimate
|? min||? min||? min||? min|