1. Put the quinoa in a medium saucepan. Pour in the water.
2. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the quinoa and the water is absorbed, 10-15 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork.
3. Very finely chop the apples, celery, shallots, dried cranberries and kale.
4. Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil in a large bowl. With a wooden spoon, stir in the apples, celery, shallots, cranberries and kale.
5. Stir in the cooked quinoa and toss to mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.