1. Place a large pot of water on the stovetop to boil. Season the water with salt.
2. Peel butternut squash and half down the length of the squash. Scoop out the seeds and pulp and dice one half into 1/2" cubes.
3. Once the water has reached a rolling boil, add the butternut squash. Boil for 5 minutes and remove from water and drain. Set aside.
4. While squash is boiling, dice 1/2 large onion.
5. In a large skillet over medium heat, add the vegetable oil. Once the oil is heated through, add the cumin seed, turmeric powder and urad dal.
6. When the seeds begin to pop, add the onions and saute through until translucent.
7. Add the butternut squash, and saute for 5 minutes covered. Season with salt and pepper. Remove the lid and saute for another 10-15 minutes until the squash has browned on the sides.
8. Add the red bell pepper and cilantro in the final 1-2 minutes to warm throughout.
9. Enjoy with naan, roti or a side of basmati rice.