What a great alternative to pasta salad at your next potluck. This Lentil Salad is free from dairy, so it will last a full day at a potluck without spoiling. Lentils aren't usually part of the North American diet, so many will be shocked to see their use in a Southwestern flavored salad.
Prepare the lentils:
1. In a saucepan, boil the 1 cup of lentils in 3 cups of water over medium-high heat for approximately 20 minutes. Test lentils to ensure that they aren't too mushy and still have a bite.
2. Drain lentils using a mesh colander.
3. Allow to cool completely.
Any vegetables can be substituted or added to this portion of the recipe. For nutritional calculation, one summer squash has been included. If other veggies are used, please know that the nutritional values may be off.
1. Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet.
2. Add squash, onion and garlic, and cook together for 5-7 minutes, until the squash has become tender and transluscent.
3. Remove from heat and allow veggies to cool.
Prepare lentil salad:
1. Place cooled lentils in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add cooled veggie mixture and mix together.
3. Add chopped cilantro, salt and pepper and continue to mix together.
4. Dress with 3 tablespoons of cumin-lime vinaigrette, and mix thoroughly.
5. Chill in refrigerator for 2 hours to allow the flavors to come together. Serve cold or room temperature and your next picnic!
Calorie Burn TimeLog In to estimate
|? min||? min||? min||? min|