The flavor in this stuffing comes from the mushrooms. It is best to use a variety of mushrooms - we like porcini, cremini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms.
To make cornbread (can be made 1-2 days in advance):
1. Heat large skillet over medium heat. Add vegetable oil and allow to heat up in the pan.
2. In large bowl, mix cornmeal, egg, and milk.
3. Ladle large scoops of cornmeal batter into skillet and cook as you would a pancake. Cook on each side until golden-brown.
4. Remove cornbread cakes from the skillet, and place on a plate to cool.
To make stuffing:
1. Break apart cornbread cakes into 1/2" pieces and place them in a large mixing bowl.
2. Cut the sourdough baguette into 1" cubes and add to bowl with cornbread.
3. Mince garlic cloves. Finely chop onions and celery. Chop all the mushrooms. Remove the leaves from the Swiss chard stems, and chop the leaves for the stuffing. Set aside all of your chopped vegetables. Also, chop up the thyme, sage, and parsley (use fresh herbs, if possible).
4. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
5. Using a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat olive oil.
6. Add mushrooms and sauté until brown, approximately 4 minutes.
7. Add celery, onions and garlic cloves to the pan. Continue to cook until softened, approximately 8 minutes.
8. Add Swiss chard leaves, cook until wilted, approximately 2 minutes.
9. Add chopped thyme and sage to the skillet. Cook another minute to allow herbs to permeate vegetable mixture.
10. Add salt and pepper to taste.
11. Remove skillet from heat, and add vegetables to the bowl with the bread and cornbread mixture.
12. Add chopped parsley and toss complete mixture.
13. Pour in vegetable broth into the mixing bowl and mix well. If you prefer a drier stuffing, use less broth. For a more moist stuffing, use more broth.
14. Taste mixture and season with salt/pepper, if needed.
15. Pour mixture into a lightly greased/buttered 9x13 baking dish and cover with foil.
16. Bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees.
17. Remove foil and bake until browned on top, approximately 20-30 minutes.
18. Let rest for 15 minutes, serve warm to your friends and family. Makes great leftovers!
Calorie Burn TimeLog In to estimate
|? min||? min||? min||? min|